2013 Summer Vacation Book

Click here to view this photo book larger

Shutterfly photo books offer a wide range of artful designs and embellishments to choose from.

2012 Christmas Card

Stationery card
View the entire collection of cards.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Odd Life of Timothy Green

Must see movie!

We (my mom, Collin, Brylie and I) ended our mini-vacation by going to the Movie Tavern to see "The Odd Life of Timothy Green". I had seen the trailers and thought it looked cute but I'm not real big into movies. Don't get me wrong, I like movies, I just don't get to go that often and when I do it's usually a kids movie so nothing to gush about.

I knew there was an adoption theme so quite frankly it made me a little nervous taking Collin without checking it out first. But, he seemed excited to see it so we went. About a quarter of the way through the movie my mom looks over at me and says "this is the story of your boys". At the time, it miffed me a bit because Timothy had just grown in the garden-not really the way I want to explain adoption to my kids. They were born just like every other child. I have a real problem with that type of explanation and to be honest I spent the next few minutes anticipating the conversation I was going to have to have with her regarding that issue.

As the movie went on, it seemed Timothy was their dream child and although he was "different" and well, odd, he was still all that they had wished for and met all the criteria on their list. In my book this equals y-a-w-n...I was bored. But then came the unexpected.

I was going to issue a spoiler alert but I don't want to ruin it for anyone. I will just say for any parent that has ever adopted a child, especially internationally and/or transracially the message in this movie is powerful to say the least. I don't think my 5 year old took much of anything away from it but you never know. As anyone with young kids knows, their thoughts come out at very peculiar times. You may think they didn't notice something but a month later they will talk about it like it just happened.

I actually think this movie is much more for the parents than it is the kids. As parents, we put so much pressure on ourselves to be perfect and to have the perfect family. This movie highlights the fact that the "perfect" family may not look the same to everyone but it doesn't mean that it's not perfect or that it is any less than perfect if it doesn't fit into everyone elses mold.

I will say when I walked out of the theater I thought to myself, that was the story of my boys and my family that I happen to think is perfect!!


That is all I will say about it for now because I want everyone to go and see it and see what you think!

**One last note...I had to find out who wrote this movie. Come to find out it is Ahmed Zappa, yep, the son of Frank Zappa.

No comments:

Post a Comment